Tuesday 7 May 2013

Book Worm - Once upon a time


       
I love the collection of Ladybird books that I have had since childhood. They were the Well Loved Tales 606d series and I loved them because of the beautiful illustrations.
   
I longed for Cinderella’s ballgowns and I loved the fact that she attended three balls and that each gown got better and better.  And who could fail to fall in love with the cute little elves who helped the shoemaker? 

       
All the stories were beautifully illustrated by Robert Lumley or Eric Winter.  

       
They were truly stunning and it’s not surprising that when Ladybird began to enjoy a bit of a renaissance and launched a new range of retro products, it was inspired by this era.


There’s a website where you can buy prints of the illustrations http://www.ladybirdprints.com/index.php


4 comments:

  1. They look awfully familiar! I adored Cinderella too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister had the next series - illustrations were much to cartoon like. Far inferior to this. I managed to collect the whole set recently via ebay, charity shops and boot sales. Much treasured.

      Delete
  2. So many! Enid Blyton's "Enchanted Wood", "A Little Princess" by Frances Hodgson Burnett, "Thursday's Child" by Noel Streatfield and Cinderella (I had the Ladybird version shown on your blog!) to name but a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved The Magic Faraway Tree and Enchanted Wood too. Moonface, Silky .... all coming back to me!

      Delete

Thanks for reading our blog. We hope you enjoy it and share it with your friends. If you have a secret place, shop, book or hobby you would like to share, we want to hear about it. Email us at enquiries@cobwebknits.co.uk together with a bit of info about you and any links or images you would like included.