Tuesday 21 January 2014

Meet the Maker - Seasick Joe

I love the fact that my passion for knitting turned into a career and enjoy discovering others for whom the same has happened.


Seasick Joe (not her real name, which is Nicky) is one such artist.  I’ll let her explain in her own words.


'When I grow up I want to be an artist'.....seasick joe aged 8.5


These were my words, oooh <cough> 30 something years ago. I was always very creative as a child, but as I grew up somehow life got in the way and I never got to fulfil my childhood ambition, I took a totally different path and after a degree in Computer Technology behind me and a job in IT I was as far away from creative as you can get!


    
In 2010 I moved from a big city to a tiny village in South Lakes, Cumbria, one of the most beautiful places on earth, breathtaking mountains and stunning coastlines...I was inspired by its beauty, and the creative girl inside me woke up....



Whether at work (yes I still work in IT) or at home I am never more than 10 mins away from the beach, I started collecting driftwood and seeing shapes in the pieces I found, I set up a workshop in my kitchen and got crafty, making anything I could out of this beautiful strange, ocean whipped, sun bleached wood.  
This was my new hobby.....but I never thought it would be more than that, just a hobby, my way of unleashing the 8 year old artist inside of me..... but somehow my hobby turned into a small business, crazy as it seemed to me, people wanted to buy the things I made, they made people smile, which made me smile and thus...... Seasick Joe was born P-)

Her seven year old son is also a source of inspiration and his love of pirates is plain to see when you look at her fantastic boats.

You can find out more about Seasick Joe and find out how to buy her products by visiting her Facebook page ... www.facebook.com/SeasickJoe

Find out more about Su's products here ... www.cobwebknits.co.uk



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading our blog. We hope you enjoy it and share it with your friends. If you have a secret place, shop, book or hobby you would like to share, we want to hear about it. Email us at enquiries@cobwebknits.co.uk together with a bit of info about you and any links or images you would like included.