Friday 14 March 2014

Out and About - Wildlife and Wetlands Trust

A couple of new designs have come about after seeing news that, at Slimbridge, they are celebrating one of the longest running animal research projects with its study of swans and their unique markings turning 50 this year. 
I remember visiting Slimbridge as a small child and I have been amazed to see how much the Wildlife and Wetlands Trust has evolved, with other centre popping up about the country, including one near my new home in Llanelli.
I love Peter Scott's stunning illustrations.  He observed that each swan had unique markings on its face making it possible to identify and observe individuals.  His daughter Dafila,  helped him and this pastime morphed into the scientific research that continues today.
Given the intricacy and skill of their artwork I am not even going to attempt swans, but since many other breeds of bird can be found at the different trusts I felt on safer territory with some ducks and geese, especially given that spring is just around the corner and ducklings will soon be emerging from the eggs.
The hats came first, swiftly followed by a couple of sketches that form the artwork for my appliqued motifs.  Thankfully the cartoon approach disguises my lack of artistic prowess.
Those of you following the tips I've been sharing for our design challenge will know about the next steps. First the sketches need to be transferred onto some digitising software that the embroidery machine will understand.
 And once that's done the image is uploaded and the machine takes it from there.
I hope you like them.  They'll be added to our wildlife range soon.  But I've still got to decide whether to add eyes to the hats.  Given that they have beaks which sit below eye-level, something may be called for.  Eye-lashes perhaps?  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading our blog. We hope you enjoy it and share it with your friends. If you have a secret place, shop, book or hobby you would like to share, we want to hear about it. Email us at enquiries@cobwebknits.co.uk together with a bit of info about you and any links or images you would like included.